Beans (partie deux)

Posted 2:10 PM by Carly Monardo in Labels: ,
Continuing where we left off from in the last post, I'd like to share with you this simplest of recipes!

Carly's Cheesy Refried Beans

1/2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil

1 1/2 cups pinto beans

4 slices pickled jalapeño, minced

1 clove garlic, smashed and minced

1 tsp chili powder

2 oz shredded cheese





For my first time cooking with dried beans, I decided to go with something very simple and comforting, something I could just plop into a tortilla and munch on happily.



Simply:
  1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
  2. Combine beans, peppers, garlic, and chili powder.
  3. When the beans are hot, mash them up with your spoon. 
  4. Add cheese. Lower heat and stir until cheese is melted and combined with the beans.
  5. Remove from heat immediately. 


(If you don't think this looks DIVINE, then clearly you are too snooty for this blog!)

Apart from the beans, I used inexpensive ingredients that I already had in the house. You should be able to find them easily in your local supermarket. 

Wesson Vegetable Oil comes in 24 oz bottles for $3.39
Victoria "Hot" Sliced Jalapeño Peppers come in a 12 fl. oz jar for $3.99
Kraft Natural Shredded Cheese - Mexican Four Cheese comes in an 8 oz. bag for $4.49
McCormick Chili Powder comes in a 2.5 ounce container for $2.99
A head of garlic should cost you well less than $1
And the pinto beans, as chronicled in my last post, cost a mere 1.19 per lb (dry).

When you factor in the amount of each product I used, it cost less than a dollar per serving. NICE!

But it doesn't stop there! Like a true gourmand, I smeared these suckers in a tortilla and added fat free sour cream! Simple burritos like this make for a tasty and quick lunch or dinner, and during weeks when money is really tight, they can be a real life saver. Don't worry though: we will be working our way up to more exciting cuisine as the blog progresses ;)

With the tortilla (Mission Foods Medium Size Flour Tortillas - 10 8" tortillas for $3.69) and the sour cream (Breakstone Fat Free Sour Cream - 8 oz for $1.59), the approximate price of my meal is less than $3!! Money in the bank, folks!


Bottom Line: 
My simple recipe won't make it into any cook books any time soon, but it is a quick and satisfying meal for less than $3.00! 


2 comment(s) to... “Beans (partie deux)”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a crock pot? We use one for most of our bean cookin', especially for chili.



Carly Monardo said...

Marion told me and I think it's something we need to save up for! I know there are a bunch of recipes that would benefit from having a crock pot. Thanks, John!



Post a Comment